Sevilla vs Manchester United, UCL Round of 16 1st leg match will be played on Wednesday 21st of February. In this preview post i will cover match background, statistics, team news and best odds for the match.
Sevilla vs Manchester United, might not get you as excited as Real Madrid vs PSG, Juventus vs Spurs or Chelsea vs Barcelona, but it should. It’s a match-up between the last 4 Europa League winners, as Manchester United is the Europa League holders from last season and Sevilla for the 3 years before MUFC. A match between one of the biggest clubs in the world and slightly smaller club who happens to have more European titles than the bigger club. Not a pun, just saying that the smaller club also has an European pedigree.
Sevilla, despite being one of the most successful teams on UEFA competitions, has actually never won a UCL Round of 16 tie. They have had 3 attempts. Where as for the other UEFA competition, Europa League(or UEFA Cup), they have won 5 times. They have the same number of MAJOR UEFA titles as Barcelona, the difference being that Barcelona has 5 of the more prestigious UEFA title’s; Champions League. Last season Sevilla looked to beat another Premier League club in this stage of the competition, when they faced Leicester. But they failed remarkably in the 2nd leg vs Leicester. Domestically Sevilla is 5th in La Liga, and have advanced to the Copa Del Rey final in which they will face Barcelona in April.
Manchester United on the other hand needs no introduction. They are one, if not the most widely supported clubs in the world. 3 times European Champion, and 1 time Europa League champion. Manchester United stand 2nd in Premier League 16 behind leaders and city rival’s Manchester City, and 2 above their arch-enemy Liverpool. Manchester United is also through to the FA Cup quarterfinals vs Brighton in March. What makes this match-up tricky for Manchester United, is that 4 days after the match in Sevilla, Manchester United are facing Chelsea in Premier League. Giving Jose Mourinho a great alibi, if things go wrong in Spain.
Sevilla vs Manchester United starting lineups(not confirmed)
Sevilla: Rico; Navas, Mercado, Lenglet, Escudero; N’Zonzi, Banega; Muriel, Vazguez, Sarabia; Ben Yedder
Manchester United: DeGea; Valencia, Lindelöf, Bailly, Young; Matic, Herrera; Lingard, Pogba, Alexis; Lukaku
Prematch press conference quote by Vincenzo Montella of Sevilla;
“It’s vital that we are in good physical shape, that we concentrate hard, that we are full of pride. It’s a great stimulus to pit my team against Mourinho’s because he’s been a pioneer in our field. I’ve read his books, studied his tactics – without question he’s a football coach to learn from.”
Prematch press conference quote by Jose Mourinho of MUFC;
“Champions League dreams start around the quarter-finals, not before. At the last-16 stage there is still a long way to go. For now we have to focus on what will be a very difficult tie. Montella is Italian, and Italians know how to organise defensively, so we go with everything we have. Only at 22:30 do we think about the next match.”
Quotes are from UEFA.
Sevilla vs Manchester United statistics
- Sevilla and Manchester United has never met in official UEFA competitions.
- This is a match between the 2017 Europa League winner Manchester United and 2014, 2015 and 2016 Europa League winner Sevilla.
- Sevilla has never advanced from UCL Round of 16 tie.
- Sevilla has won 6 out of 9 last UEFA home matches, drawing twice and losing just once.
- Sevilla home record vs English teams out of 5 matches is; 3W, 1D, 1L.
- Sevilla has had two 2-legged ties vs English opponent, of which they have won 1 and lost 1. Lost vs Leicester last season at this stage, and won vs Spurs in 2007 UEFA Cup.
- Sevilla record vs English teams in UEFA competitions; 13 matches of which they’ve won 5, drawn 4 and lost 4. Scoring a total of 24 goals with 22 goals against.
- Unofficially, Sevilla just might have the greatest club anthem in the world. Make sure you watch it, it is absolutely spectacular when the full stadium sings it.
- This is the 10th time in UCL Round of 16 for Manchester United. Out of the previous 9 they have won 6 times and lost 3.
- Manchester United away record in UCL Round of 16 out of 9 matches is; 2W, 3D, 4L
- Manchester United has had 13 2-legged ties vs Spanish opponent, of which they have won 6 and lost 7 times.
- Manchester United record vs Spanish teams in UEFA competitions; 50 matches of which they’ve won 13, drawn 17 and lost 20. Scoring a total of 62 goals with 70 goals against.
- Sevilla vs Manchester United will be played in Sevilla, Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, on Wednesday 21st of February, kick-off at 19.45 UK time. Return Leg Manchester United vs Sevilla will be played in Manchester on Tuesday, 13th of March.
Sevilla vs Manchester United odds
- Unibet odds: Sevilla 2.95, draw 3.30, Manchester United 2.62
- William Hill odds: Sevilla 2.87, draw 3.20, Manchester United 2.62
Odds updated 15.00 on Wednesday 21st of February.
At the time of writing Unibet offers slightly better odds for draw and Manchester United victory where as both bookies offer identical odds for Sevilla victory. The odds are likely to live a bit as it’s still 3 days to the match, I’ll try to keep the odds updated up and until the kick-off. Unibet now offers the best odds for Sevilla victory and a draw, where as both bookies offer the same 2.62 odds for Manchester United away victory. William Hill has an interesting promotion for the two champions league matches; Enhanced odds for over 2 goals in both matches from 16/5 to 7/2
The other UCL Round of 16 match on Wednesday 21st of February is Shaktar Donetsk vs AS Roma, which seems little bit underwhelming in comparison to Sevilla vs Manchester United. Although Unibet has marked AS Roma victory with 3.00 odds, which seems very appealing, to say the least, but for entertainment value it’s not a competitor to the other match. On Tuesday there is a great match or possibly two, Chelsea vs Barcelona and Bayern vs Besiktas. Enjoy the Champions League while it lasts.