Real Madrid vs Juventus 2nd leg, certainly an interesting match, but it’s over isn’t it? The 1st leg ended 0-3 in favour of Real Madrid and the previous UEFA statistics give Juventus a flat 0% chance to advance. This post includes match preview, statistics and best odds for the match.
Real Madrid vs Juventus does look like a buried tie already, statistically speaking Juventus has no chance of turning the tie around. Of the previous 49 UCL matches with 0-3 results, the home team from the 1st leg has NEVER advanced. That being said, record are made to be broken, but is that the case THIS time? I don’t think so.
Juventus shot themselves in the leg on the 1st leg tactically, but the main difference was Cristiano Ronaldo vs who ever was supposed to be the shining star of Juventus. If it was Paolo Dybala, well he wont take part in Real Madrid vs Juventus after his dismissal in the 1st leg. If Dybala is looking for positives from that situation; He might be invited to take a seat next to Sergio Ramos who also watches the match from the stands after his booking earned him a suspension also. If the match ended, say 0-1, Sergio Ramos missing from the match would be the headline on every sport paper in Europe.
Surely Juventus has the mindset that everything and anything is possible, but the reality is; When Real Madrid scores a single goal the whole house of cards, that is Juventus at the moment, collapses. And considering the form of Cristiano Ronaldo, especially vs Juventus and Gigi Buffon who has become his favourite victims as of late, Real Madrid WILL score a goal or four.
Essentially this match is nothing but a midweek glorified friendly for Real Madrid, which is an ironic thing to say considering they face one of the best teams in Europe of the last decade. I do admire Juventus for everything they have done in recent years, but I’m not a fan of anyone except Gianluigi Buffon. It is a shame that one of the best goalkeepers of all time, who has played almost his whole career in one of the best teams in the world, will never lift the Champions League trophy. Realistically this should be his final push for the elusive title. The Real Madrid fan in me thinks it’s not going to happen, the football fan in me would not be mad if Juventus pushed through and Gigi finally got his hands on the Champions League trophy!
Real Madrid vs Juventus line up’s and manager quote’s
- Real Madrid
Starting XI: Navas; Carvajal, Casemiro, Varane, Marcelo; Modric, Kovacic, Kroos; Isco, Benzema, Ronaldo.
Out with injury: Nacho.
Zinedine Zidane quote;
“The result in the first leg doesn’t change anything for us. It’s another game. What happened, happened. We got a good result but it’s only half-time. We have the second half tomorrow. We need to play another great game. I’m only thinking about tomorrow and us, not about potential opponents further down the line.”
Starting XI: Buffon; De Scilio, Benatia, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Cuadrado, Douglas Costa, Higuain.
Out with injury: Bernardechi, Barzagli
Suspended; Dybala, Bentancur
Massimiliano Allegri quote;
“What we want to do is reverse this 3-0. It was a tough result, we’ll need to play a complete game against a complete team if we are to get a positive result. Nobody expected us to concede after two minutes in Turin, so why can’t we do the same tomorrow? We need to give our all. We need to be serious as we’re still battling for the league.”
The centreback choise by Zidane to pair up with Varane is an odd one, Casemiro, maybe the best midfield anchor in football today. He has tried this few times before, with little to no success. Not only does it generate potentially dangerous situations deep in RM half, but also Juventus can pass RM midfield that much more easily now. Casemiro doesn’t hold back, he goes in hard, no matter where he is positioned. Ramos missing is a HUGE factor. For Juventus curiously, their best player missing in Dybala is nowhere near as big of a setback. With Cuadrado and Douglas Costa on the wings, Juventus have soaring speed on both flanks. Dangerous setup, this match could get interesting.
Real Madrid vs Juventus statistics
- This will be the 21st UEFA Competition match between the sides, of the previous 20 Real Madrid has won 10, Juventus 8 and 2 matches has ended as a draw.
- Real Madrid won the 1st leg away in Turin 0-3.
- No team has ever in the history of Champions League era managed to come back from losing the 1st leg 0-3 at home.
- Real Madrid are looking to advance to the Champions League semifinal’s for the 8th time in a row.
- This is the 35th European Cup/Champions League quarterfinal appearance for Real Madrid(competition high), their record of the previous 34 is; 28W, 6L.
- Real Madrid has lost just 2 of their last 28 Champions League fixtures, winning 20 and drawing 6 times.
- Real Madrid are looking to win their 150th Champions League match, a competition record.
- Real Madrid home record vs Italian opponents; 32 matches of which they have won 23, lost 6 and drawn 3 times.
- This match will be the 150th UEFA Champions League appearance for Cristiano Ronaldo.
- Ronaldo has scored in each of the 6 matches Real Madrid has played against Juventus, scoring 9 goals in those 6 matches.
- Ronaldo has scored in each of the 9 UCL matches this season, including the last season’s final he has scored in 10 successive Champions League matches.
- CR7 is the leading goalscorer of UCL this season with 14 goals, looking to improve the record of 17 held by him in 2013-2014.
- Juventus are looking to reach the semifinal stage for the 13th time.
- This is the 18th European Cup/Champions League quarterfinal appearance for Juventus, their record from the previous 17 is; 12W, 5L.
- Juventus has won LAST FOUR two-legged ties vs Real Madrid. Juventus are also the only team to eliminate Real Madrid from Champions League in 4 years.
- Real Madrid vs Juventus kick-off 19.45 Wednesday 11th of April.
Real Madrid vs Juventus 2nd leg odds
- Betsson odds; Real Madrid 1.63, draw 4.50, Juventus 5.40
- NordicBet odds: Real Madrid 1.63, draw 4.50, Juventus 5.40
- Unibet odds: Real Madrid 1.62, draw 4.45, Juventus 5.50
- William Hill odds: Real Madrid 1.61, draw 4.20, Juventus 5.50
Best odds at the time of writing(Monday, 11.00); The best odds for Real Madrid victory are offered by Betsson and NordicBet. The best odds for a draw are offered by Betsson and NordicBet. The bet odds for Juventus victory are offered by Juventus. I’ll try to keep the odds up to date as much as possible.
Real Madrid vs Juventus will always be a fantastic match of football, but the 1st leg result kind of takes the edge off the match. Reality is, Bayern Munich vs Sevilla likely is that much more entertaining match-up as there is still something to play for. On Tuesday there is a similar situation in MCFC vs Liverpool, even if to a lesser extent. AS Roma vs Barcelona, the other Tuesday match, i thought AS Roma had the perfect opportunity to show what they are made of.
Unfortunately they did, a horror show is what they put out, no fight whatsoever. On Friday, I’m expecting a semifinal draw in which 3 LA Liga sides and 1 Premier League side meet, though Sevilla need to bring their á game and then some to Munich on Wednesday. So AS Roma managed to turn the tables in Stadio Olimpico, in spectacular fashion as well. Check out the AS Roma vs Barcelona review. Instead of possibly 3 La Liga teams in the semifinals, there is that chance that NO La Liga teams participate in the penultimate round of Champions League. Unlikely, but possible.