Real Madrid vs Bayern Munchen, UCL Semifinal 2nd leg will be played on Tuesday 1st of May. Real Madrid won the 1st leg 1-2 away in Munich and have a fair advantage going into the 2nd leg. This post includes match preview, statistics and best odds for Real Madrid vs Bayern 2nd leg.
Real Madrid vs Bayern, still an European classic, despite the somewhat poor show in the 1st leg. Poor as in Real Madrid being passive, even if productive, and Bayern shooting blanks. But to be fair, at this point in the competition, it’s not about how you win it, just win it. The 2nd leg will probably be much like the same, as Real Madrid have those two away goals, they have a one goal bumper in the match. 0-1 victory for Bayern would still take Real Madrid through on away goals.
The expectations for Real Madrid vs Bayern 1st leg were insane, and it didn’t really help that Liverpool vs AS Roma was absolutely mental match of football. Being played just 1 day apart, the memory of the other semifinal was still fresh in the mind, with the expectations even higher. Obviously Real Madrid vs Bayern could not live up to the hype, they are two teams who can defend as well as score. Much more disciplined than either of Liverpool or AS Roma.
Bayern Munchen has to come out swinging, to score at least 2 goals. That should increase the possibility of counter attacks, which has been Real Madrid’s bread and butter in recent years. Curiously not so much this season. But they still have Gareth Bale(if he gets to play) and Cristiano Ronaldo who both have the ability to do damage on the counter. Isco will definitely miss the match with a shoulder injury, making Gareth Bale starting the match on pitch a near-certainty. Actually, personally i hope that the font three of Real Madrid will be Asensio, Cristiano and Bale. That front three would be dynamic enough to keep Bayern at bay even if they do dominate possession once again.
If Real Madrid vs Bayern 2nd leg follow the same pattern as the 1st leg, Real Madrid are digging their own grave. Because Bayern spurned a number of clear-cut goal scoring opportunities in the 1st leg. That wont happen again, surely they can score 2 out of what, 15 good opportunities they had in the 1st leg? Then again, Real Madrid are devastating at their best, and even when they are playing poorly, they are still very dangerous. Odds are that Ronaldo will continue his scoring habits, despite finishing his first UCL match of the campaign without a goal to his name in the 1st leg.
Real Madrid vs Bayern 2nd leg will be without few key players from each side; Real Madrid are without Dani Carvajal and possibly Isco, who both got injured in the 1st leg. Where as Bayern are without Arturo Vidal, Kinglsey Coman and most likely Manuel Neuer+David Alaba. Jerome Boateng and Arjen Robben who both received knocks in the 1st leg will probably both be missing from the Bavarians as well.
Real Madrid vs Bayern, starting Lineup’s
- XI: Navas; Vazguez, Varane, Ramos, Marcelo; Kovacic, Modric, Kroos, Asensio; Ronaldo, Benzema.
- Injured: Carvajal, Isco.
- Doubtful: Nacho.
Zidane at the UEFA pre-match press;
“It’s a semi-final, we know how important it is and what we have to do. We don’t have to change what we’re doing. We need to show in this game that we deserve and want to go through. What I can tell you is that whatever happens, we’re a squad, a team, and we can do anything. The key for us, and what we have to do, is to think about winning the game and go onto the pitch wanting to do that. We need to go out to score quickly and that’s what we’ll try to do”
- XI: Ulreich; Kimmich, Sule, Hummels, Alaba; Ribery, Tolisso, Thiago, Muller; James, Lewandowski.
- Injured: Neuer, Boateng, Coman, Vidal, Robben.
Jupp Heynckes at the UEFA pre-match press;
“I’ll be trying to rectify mistakes. We’ll try to attack. That’s the Bayern DNA: we always want to score. We need to be more efficient than we were in the first leg and we need to take our chances like they did. Madrid know it’s the game of the year and that they need to put on a great performance. Little details will be fundamental. For 93 minutes, the players need to be very switched on”
These starting XI’s are not yet confirmed, purely speculative at this point(i will update when they are confirmed). Personally i hope that Gareth Bale starts for Real Madrid, and not Karim Benzema. Because his pace alone would give RM another dimension, in a weird way it would be also be a defensively benefitting choise. But knowing Zidane’s trust in Benzema.. Bayern’s XI brings no surprises, except that Alaba might start. One of my favourite Bayern players of last 10 years, he could be a real menace on whoever takes injured Carvajal’s place. Update: Tolisso takes the place of Javi Martinez, somewhat surprising.
Real Madrid vs Bayern statistics
- Real Madrid won the 1st leg 1-2 away in Munchen.
- This is the 26th official UEFA match between the sides, of which Real Madrid has won 12, Bayern 11 and 2 matches has ended as a draw.
- This is the 13th match between the sides at Santiago Bernabeu. Of the previous 12 Real Madrid has won 9, Bayern 2 and 1 match has ended as a draw.
- This is the 12th knockout rounds tie between the teams, of the previous 11 Real Madrid has won 6 times where as Bayern has won 5 times.
- In UCL semifinal stage the teams have met 6 times before, Bayern has won 4 times where as Real Madrid twice.
- Real Madrid has won 6 previous home matches against Bayern Munchen.
- Only two teams have managed to turn 1st leg home loss at Semifinal stage of UCL; Pananthinaikos in 1996 and Inter Milan in 2011(vs Bayern).
- Real Madrid are looking to reach the Champions League final for third time in a row, and 4th Final in 5 season’s.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is two goals shy of the Champions League scoring record, 17 goals(2014). Record the man himself holds at the moment.
- Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 25 goals in his last 16 Champions League appearances.
- Marcelo has scored in each 3 Champions League knockout tie’s this season.
- This is the 250th UEFA Champions League match for Real Madrid, record in the competition.
- The 1st leg victory in Germany, was Real Madrid’s 150th, also record in the competition.
- Bayern have lost their last 3 semifinal’s, before those 3 they won 4 semifinal tie’s in a row.
- Bayern Munchen has scored 70 goals in their 21 fixtures in 2018, that’s an 3.33 goals per match average.
- Robert Lewandowski has scored 18 goals in 18 fixtures in 2018.
- Real Madrid and Bayern both reached the semifinal stage as group runner up’s. Last season, Real Madrid was the 1st team ever to win the title after finishing 2nd in group stage(i think).
- Real Madrid vs Bayern Munchen UCL semifinal 2nd leg kick-off 19.45 on Tuesday 1st of May.
Real Madrid vs Bayern UCL semifinal 2nd leg odds
- Betsson odds: Real Madrid 2.31, draw 4.00, Bayern 2.95
- NordicBet odds: Real Madrid 2.31, draw 4.00, Bayern 2.95
- Unibet odds: Real Madrid 2.30, draw 4.08, Bayern 2.90
- William Hill odds: Real Madrid 2.30, draw 3.80, Bayern 2.90
Best odds at the time of writing(Updated Tuesday 18.45); Best odds for Real Madrid victory are offered by Betsson and NordicBet. Best odds for a draw are offered by William Hill. Best odds for Bayern Munchen victory are offered by Unibet. I’ll try to keep the odds up to date as much as possible.
Now, i don’t happen to believe that Bayern can turn the tie around, but IF YOU DO now would be a good time to put your money on them as an outright winner. Since the 1st leg defeat, their odds doubled from 3-4 to 7.00. Making it a lucrative opportunity, IF YOU HAPPEN TO THINK THEY CAN PULL IT OFF that is. For example, take the Betsson sign-up offer above(deposit 75, play with 150). Basically its a free 75 bet, bet that on those 7.00 odds and its a hefty 525 profit. Now like i said, i don’t think Bayern can pull it off at Bernabeu, but that’s just my personal opinion. If i did, i would be all over those odds.
Real Madrid vs Bayern UCL Semifinal 2nd leg should be nothing short of spectacle. This tie has a tendency for drama, expect nothing less on Tuesday. The other semifinal 2nd leg, AS Roma vs Liverpool will be played on Wednesday and a preview of that match will be posted on Sunday. On Thursday the UEL Semifinal 2nd leg’s will be played, with highly anticipated Atletico Madrid vs Arsenal coming up.