Madrid Derby, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, once upon a time this match was nothing but a showdown of supremacy by the Los Merengues. But in the last 6-7 years this match has been absolutely one of the best matches European football has had to offer.
Madrid Derby, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid is the final city derby of the week, after Milan Derby in midweek, Liverpool Derby Saturday evening and Manchester Derby on Saturday night. Manchester Derby was fireworks, well the 2nd half. El derbi Madrileño should be fireworks throughout the 90 minutes. Despite the current situation in Liga BBVA table, where both teams has already conceded the title to Barcelona, this is a match both teams want to win. Or more importantly, don’t want to lose.
Madrid Derby hasn’t always been a spectacular showdown between two great teams, oh no. There was a time when Atletico came into the match already defeated, knowing they had absolutely zero chances of coming out with anything but a defeat. During the last 6-7 years though, this match-up has been very even and thoroughly entertaining. Of the last 4 Champions League finals, two have been Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, that already tells you this is a BIG match these days. In 2013 Atletico Madrid took the 1st Madrid Derby victory over Real Madrid in 13 years. After that, Atletico Madrid has become one of the hardest teams to play against for Real Madrid. Those two Champions League finals already prove that fact, one of them was won on extra time, the other one went all the way through to penalty shootout.
One of the more interesting things about Madrid Derby this time around, is the return of Diego Costa. Diego Costa vs Real Madrid has been one of the more entertaining battle’s in European Football in last 5 years. Diego Costa vs Sergio Ramos, two hotheads going at it, got to love it, they don’t spare punches. Cristiano Ronaldo is in the form of his life, his wonder goal vs Juventus on Tuesday was nothing short of spectacular. And Atletico is one of his favourite opponents of recent seasons. It remains to be seen if Zidane rests some of the key players for Juventus 2nd leg, hopefully not CR7 though.
Madrid Derby Statistics
- El derbi Madrileño H2H; This is the 218th meeting between the sides; Of which Real Madrid has won 110, Atletico Madrid 55 and 53 of the matches has ended up as a draw.
- Real Madrid was undefeated against Atletico Madrid in all competitions for 13 years, between 2000-2013.
- Atletico Madrid was undefeated against Real Madrid in LaLiga between 2013 and 2016.
- H2H last 5 matches all competitions; Real Madrid 2W, Atletico Madrid 1W, 2 draws.
- H2H last 5 La Liga matches; Real Madrid 1W, Atletico Madrid 1W, 3 draws.
- Real Madrid form of last 5 matches in all competitions; 5W.
- Real Madrid form of last 5 matches in La Liga; 4W, 1L.
- Atletico Madrid form of last 5 matches in all competitions; 4W, 1L.
- Atletico Madrid form of last 5 matches in La Liga; 3W, 2L.
- First match of the season ended in a 1-1 draw at Wanda Metropolitano, despite Real Madrid dominating much of the match.
- el derbi Madrileño kick-off 15.15(GMT) on Sunday 8th of April.
Madrid derby odds
- Betsson odds: Real Madrid 1.67, draw 4.00, Atletico Madrid 5.05
- NordicBet odds: Real Madrid 1.67, draw 4.00, Atletico Madrid 5.05
- Unibet odds: Real Madrid 1.70, draw 3.20, Atletico Madrid 5.20
- William Hill odds: Real Madrid 1.70, draw 3.60, Atletico Madrid 5.00
Best odds for Real Madrid victory are offered by Unibet and William Hill. Best odds for a draw are offered by Betsson and NordicBet. Best odds for Atletico Madrid victory are offered by Unibet. This match will be available for stream through Betsson and Unibet.
This Madrid Derby should be an entertaining encounter, despite the evident lack of real meaning in the match. Both team has a midweek match in UEFA competitions; Real Madrid play at home vs Juventus in the 2nd leg UCL quarterfinal, where as Atletico will travel to Lisbon for the 2nd leg UEL quarterfinal match. And in all honestly, those matches are more important than this one. Because the UEFA competitions is the only chance for either team to bring in any silverware this season.