Liverpool vs Manchester City, in Champions League! In Champions League quarterfinal! The biggest match in English football, in a while. This post includes match preview, line up’s(updated when available) and team news, statistics and best odds for the match.
Liverpool vs Manchester City, on Wednesday 4th of April, in the Champions League quarterfinal stage. A HUGE match on every possible meaning. Also a first ever UEFA competition match between the sides. Not exactly sure how long it has been since the last English vs English knockout round match in Champions League. But these are the matches i get excited for, doesn’t matter if its La Liga clubs against each other or Premier League clubs.
If your team gets paired up with another team from the same country, it means your team has made it through to the quarterfinal stage of Champions League. As the country protection is in place up and until the round of 16. For Liverpool this is business as usual, even though its been 9 years since their last QF stage visit. For Manchester City it’s not all that usual, this being their 2nd quarterfinal visit, ever.
Liverpool vs Manchester City puts up arguably two of the most exciting teams in Premier League OR Europe this season. Both teams have very attacking orientated style, the difference being; The other one relies on counter-attacks and the other one on possession based play. On paper, this should give Liverpool a slight advantage. Jurgen Klopp’s Borussia Dortmund was devastating on the counter attacks, he has successfully installed much of the same characteristics to his Liverpool side. Pep Guardiola only knows one way of football, “tiki-taka”. He used it with Barcelona, with great success. He used it with Bayern, with some success. He uses it with MCFC and despite the first season being very poor, his 2nd season in charge is looking good so far. But elimination in the hands of Liverpool would surely tarnish that image.
Who or what is going to be the deciding factor in Liverpool vs Manchester City? All i know, is i am keeping my eye focused on two players; Mohamed Salah AND Leroy Sane. Either one can decide a match on their own. Actually, it’s like a mini-Messi vs mini-Ronaldo, as Mo Salah shares much of the qualities of Lionel Messi and Leroy Sane shares much of the qualities of Cristiano Ronaldo(the younger version of CR7 that is).
(Liverpool vs MCFC line up’s will be posted when the data is available on the official UEFA site)
Liverpool vs Manchester City statistics
- This is the first ever match between the sides on UEFA competitions.
- Historical H2H statistics from all competitions; 178 matches of which Liverpool has won 87, Manchester City 45 and 46 of the matches has ended as a draw.
- Manchester City won Liverpool 5-0 in their 1st Premier League meeting of the season. While Liverpool won the 2nd match 4-3 at Anfield. That defeat is Manchester City’s only PL defeat of the campaign.
- This is the 3rd two-legged tie between the teams; Liverpool has won both of the previous ties, both in English League Cup semifinal’s, in 1981 and 2012.
- This is the 14th European Cup/Champions League quarterfinal appearance for Liverpool, their record of the 13 previous is; 9W, 4L.
- Liverpool is undefeated in Champions League this season.
- Liverpool has not lost a home match in UEFA competitions in 14 matches, winning 9 and drawing 4 times.
- Liverpool has won 5 out of last 8 matches vs Manchester City in all competitions.
- Liverpool form of last 5 matches in all competitions; 3W, 1D, 1L.
- This is the 2nd Champions League quarterfinal appearance for Manchester City, they won PSG with 3-2 aggregate result in 2016. In other words, MCFC is inexperienced but undefeated at this stage.
- Manchester City away record in Champions League in the last 11 matches; 4W, 4L, 3D. They didn’t record a single away victory last season.
- Manchester City form of last 5 matches in all competitions; 4W, 1L
- Liverpool vs Manchester City kick-off 19.45 on Wednesday 4th of April. The 2nd leg will be played on Tuesday 10th of April in Manchester.
Liverpool vs Manchester City odds
- Betsson odds: Liverpool 2.90, draw 3.70, Manchester City 2.40
- NordicBet odds: Liverpool 2.90, draw 3.70, Manchester City 2.40
- Unibet odds: Liverpool 2.90, draw 3.50, Manchester City 2.40
- William Hill odds: Liverpool 2.80, draw 3.40, Manchester City 2.40
At the time of writing, best odds for Liverpool victory are offered by Betsson, NordicBet and Unibet. Best odds for a draw are offered by Betsson and NordicBet and all 4 bookies have identical odds for Manchester City victory. I will try to keep the odds up to date until kick-off.
Liverpool vs Manchester City is the more interesting match-up on Wednesday, Barcelona vs AS Roma is the other match and its hardly a competitor for this one. On Tuesday there are two very interesting matches also, Juventus vs Real Madrid and Sevilla vs Bayern Munchen. Also, check out the return leg MCFC vs Liverpool preview!