Juventus vs Tottenham is without a doubt the more interesting match-up of the 1st day matches. Quite frankly it just might be the most interesting out of all the 1st leg matches.
Juventus vs Tottenham or FC Basel vs Manchester City? The only people who picks the latter one, are the fans of either Basel or MCFC. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Not to undermine the quality of either team, but it is what it is.
What makes Juventus vs Tottenham all that exciting then? Well, this is actually the first ever meeting in official match between the teams. The match-up also sets Juventus who is undefeated in 26 UEFA home matches, against Spurs who is the team that collected most points in the group stage. They lost no matches in the “group of death” with Real Madrid, BVB and Apoel. They won 5 and played 1-1 draw away at Real Madrid with goal difference of 15-4. Also the way these two teams plays have many similarities, making it tough to predict the outcome. Small details will decide the outcome.
Juventus is a seasoned veteran at the knockout stage matches, Tottenham cleared the group stage for just 2nd time. In essence its experience vs youth.
Juventus vs Tottenham statistics
- Juventus is making their 9th appearance in UCL round of 16.
- Juventus has only ever lost 1 UEFA home match at Juventus Stadium, out of 31 matches their record is 19W, 11D, 1L.
- Juventus are unbeaten in the last 6 matches against Premier League clubs; 3W, 3D.
- In ties over two legs, Juventus record vs English teams is; 5W, 8L
- Juventus statistics vs English teams in UEFA competitions is; 44 matches played, of which 18W, 11D, 15L.
- Tottenham is making their 2nd ever appearance in UCL Round of 16.
- Tottenham won the 1st Round of 16 tie against AC Milan in 2010/2011 season. In other words, Spurs are undefeated at this stage of the competition.
- The away record of Tottenham in UEFA competitions is; 4W, 4D, 6L.
- Away in Italy Tottenham’s record is; 1W, 3D, 4L.
- In ties over two legs, Tottenham record vs Italian teams is; 4W, 1L.
- Tottenham statistics vs Italian teams in UEFA competitions is; 15 matches played, of which 5W, 6D, 4L.
Best odds for Juventus vs Tottenham
- Unibet odds for; Juventus 1.90(9/10), draw 3.35(47/20), Tottenham 4.65(18/5).
- William Hill odds for; Juventus 1.95(19/20), draw 3.40(12/5), Tottenham 4.00(3/1).
Best odds for Juventus victory and a draw are being offered by William Hill and the best odds for Tottenham are being offered by Unibet. The odds are favouring Juventus, but i do think Tottenham odds are floated for no apparent reason. The only reason they are so high, is the home record of Juventus. I would actually favour Tottenham slightly going into the match.
Edit: 13.2 – 16.00: The line-up’s for Juventus vs Tottenham revealed that a number of Juventus players are missing or likely missing; Barzagli, Cuadrado, Dybala, Matuidi, Höwedes and Lichsteiner all are either out of the starting lineup or missing out completely. There are some big names possibly missing out, namely Paolo Dybala and Matuidi. Where as only Alderweireld is the only player missing from Spurs side. Cant stress enough how much Juventus might miss Dybala. How big of an effect does the missing players have on the match, that remains to be seen, but i would argue it will be visible.
Juventus vs Tottenham should be very entertaining match, definitely more interesting for neutral fans than the other simultaneously played match. Remains to be seen which match is more explosive, this one or Real Madrid vs PSG which is being played on the next day, 14th of February.