Juventus vs Monaco 2nd leg UCL Semifinal, will be played on Tuesday 9th of May in Turin.
Juventus vs Monaco 2nd leg match-up should be better than the 1st one, because the 1st one stank, big time. The expectations were so high, but overall the match was very poor, neither team played on the level expected. Obviously Juventus played better since they won the 1st leg 0-2, but they didn’t really play that well either. Monaco was just poor throughout, easily the more disappointing of the 2 sides.
The setup in the 1st leg was the same; One of, if not the best defensive team in Europe vs one of the best attacking sides in Europe. Monaco clearly didn’t perform up to the standards, Juventus didn’t either but that’s mainly because not much was demanded from them as Monaco was downright poor. Juventus attacking display was poor-ish to say the least; Only some individual brilliance from Gonzalo Higuain, but more importantly from Dani Alves was enough to secure a 0-2 victory away at Monaco.
Is that 0-2 victory enough for Juve going into Juventus vs Monaco 2nd leg though? Well, based on the 1st leg performance of Monaco, yeah it most definitely is. But based on overall performance of the teams this season, it might NOT be. Much depends how Monaco start the match, if they get an early goal etcetera the match will blow wide open. AS Monaco definitely do have the potential in their roster to turn the tie around, even away at Juventus cathedral. But let’s face it, the likelihood for another big comeback in this season’s Champions League is small, very small.
How small? Well; No side in the history of UEFA Champions League has turned a 0-2 semifinal 1st leg home defeat in the 2nd leg. Then again, Barcelona were given an official 0% chance to advance from the round of 16 tie v PSG. And we all remember how that tie turned out, percentage’s and probabilities are one thing, reality is another because in football anything can happen. That being said; Only twice in the history of UEFA Champions League semifinal’s has a team lost the 1st leg at home and eventually gone through to the Final. That was done i 1995-1996 by Ajax who lost the 1 st leg at home 0-1 to Pananthinaikos, before winning the 2nd leg away 0-3. And by Inter who also lost 1st leg at home to Bayern Munich 1-0 before winning 2-3 away at Bayern
Juventus vs Monaco 2nd leg WILL be better and more entertaining match-up than the 1st leg, because Monaco HAS to open up MORE. Wether it works or not, the match should be more entertaining as it open’s up the field for Juventus counter-attack. Me personally, i believe Monaco can pull of a historic comeback victory. I’m not a fan of Juventus, not at all, but ive always been a fan of Gianluigi Buffon. If there is one player who hasn’t won UCL, but deserves to, it’s without a doubt the legendary Italian goalkeeper.
Team news and pre-match comments of Juventus vs Monaco will be added when they are available. Monaco missed Benjamin Mendy on the 1st leg, it might have been the single biggest factor why the match was so underwhelming from Monaco perspective.
Juventus are missing Marko Pjaca with long term injury, Rugani also will miss the match. Sami Khedira will return to the side after serving one match suspension in the 1st leg.
Monaco are without Boschilia, but there is no confirmation yet if Benjamin Mendy will feature(i hope he will). along with Mendy, other doubtful players are Carillo and Toure. Monaco has no suspensions
Pre-match press conferense quote from, Massimiliano Allegri of Juventus;
“You never know in football, we have to keep our concentration, Monaco have nothing to lose, they have players with great quality, especially up front. We will have to play aggressively and try to win.”
Pre-match press conferense quote from, Leonardo Jardim of AS Monaco;
“In the 1st leg we had the same number of shots on goal as Juventus, but they were more clinical. Obviously they are more mature than we are, but fundamentally we lost because we didn’t make the most of our chances. We will do everything we can to make sure this is NOT our last match in the competition. At the start of the season, nobody believed we would get beyond the group stage.”
Juventus vs Monaco statistics and odds comparison
Juventus vs Monaco statistics:
- Previous UEFA matches between Monaco and Juventus; 5 matches of which Juventus has won 3, Monaco 1 and one match ended as a draw.
- Juventus is the only undefeated team left in the competition. With an impressive defensive record of just 2 goals conceded in 11 matches.
- Juventus historical stats vs French teams in UEFA Competitions: 27 matches of which they have won 16, lost 5 and 6 of the matches has ended as a draw (goals scored 46, goals conceded 23).
- AS Monaco historical statistics vs Italian teams in UEFA Competitions: 14 matches of which they have won 3, lost 8 and 3 matches ended as a draw (goals scored 10, goals conceded 23).
- Juventus have advanced from the 2 previous UEFA knockout round tie’s vs AS Monaco (semifinal in 1998, quarterfinal in 2015).
- This is the 12th Champions League semifinal appearance for Juventus. 11 previous semifinals, of which they have won the tie 9 times
- Juventus are looking to qualify for their 9th ever European Cup/UEFA Champions League Final (they have won 2 of the previous 8 final’s).
- This is the 4th Champions League Semifinal appearance for AS Monaco. 3 previous semifinal’s of which they have won the tie just once.
- Monaco are looking to qualify for their 2nd ever Champions League final (Monaco lost the 2003-2004 final vs Porto)
- Monaco will have to score at least 2 goals to make it to extra time, winning 1-3 would qualify them to the final as would any other 2 goal margin win (other than 0-2).
- Juventus vs Monaco 2nd leg UCL Semifinal kick-off 19.45 on Tuesday 9th of May
Juventus vs Monaco odds comparison
- Bet365 odds: Juventus 8/13, draw 11/4, Monaco 9/2
- Betfair odds: Juventus 4/6, draw 14/5, Monaco 9/2
- Ladbrokes odds: Juventus 8/13 (or 14/1 see below), draw 27/10, Monaco 4/1
- Unibet odds: Juventus 4/6, draw 29/10, Monaco 41/10
- William Hill odds: Juventus 8/13, draw 11/4, Monaco 9/2
Best odds for Juventus vs Monaco at the time of writing; Best odds for Juventus victory are offered by Betfair and Unibet. Best odds for a draw are offered by Unibet. Best odds for Monaco victory are offered by Bet365, Betfair and William Hill. The odds are bound to change as the teams are playing on the weekend at their domestic leagues and the match is still 4 days away. I will try to keep the odds comparison up to date, i will also add the special promotions for the UEFA Champions League semifinals if/when i find them.
Once again Ladbrokes has a special promotion for both Champions League semifinal’s: For Juventus vs Monaco match they are offering enhanced odds for Juventus victory; 14/1 for Juventus victory (terms and conditions apply; £5 max bet, single bet only, valid only for NEW CUSTOMER’S). Lost bets will be refunded as a free bet.
Juventus vs Monaco, will be a very entertaining match of football. My hunch is that Monaco will break Juventus’ undefeated campaign in Champions League, but will it be enough for them to push to the Final? It remains to be seen. Whoever advances to the final from this tie, will find out who they play against in the final on Wednesday night as the other UEFA Champions League semifinal 2nd leg match will be played between Atletico vs Real Madrid.