Arsenal vs Manchester City, the EFL Cup final on Sunday 25th of February in Wembley. This is a brief preview post for that match including match background, statistics and obviously odds for the match.
Arsenal vs Manchester City in the EFL Cup final on this Sunday, 25th of February. EFL Cup or as the official name of the competition goes “Carabao Cup”, more commonly known as League Cup. I have actually no idea what the hell Carabao is, obviously it is a sponsor name, but what the product/service called Carabao is, I’ve got no idea.
What i do know, is that Arsenal and Manchester City made it to the EFL Cup Final out of 92 teams. And although the League Cup might be the lowest ranked silverware of the season, it is the 1st REAL title of the season, in England anyway as Manchester United was not able to bring home the European Super-cup.
The road to EFL Cup Final
- Round 3, Arsenal 1-0 Doncaster
- Round 4, Arsenal 2-1 Norwich
- Round 5, Arsenal 1-0 West Ham
- Semi-final 1st leg, Chelsea 0-0 Arsenal
- Semi-final 2nd leg, Arsenal 2-1 Chelsea. Arsenal advance to the final with 2-1 aggregate score
- Round 3, West Brom 1-2 Manchester City
- Round 4, Manchester City 0-0 Wolverhampton, Manchester City advance with 4-1 PK shootout victory
- Round 5, Leicester 1-1 Manchester City, Manchester City advance with 4-3 PK shootout victory
- Semi-final 1st leg, Manchester City 2-1 Bristol City
- Semi-final 2nd leg, Bristol City 2-3 Manchester City, Manchester City advance to the final with 5-3 aggregate score
The road to the EFL Cup Final was smooth sailing for Arsenal, where as for Manchester City it was a little bit bumpy. You could actually say MCFC is VERY lucky to be there on Sunday. Especially that Round 5 match vs Leicester looked like the end of the road, but they came out victorious from 2 consecutive PK shootouts. Even Bristol City gave MCFC a run for their money(pun intended).
Manchester City is the team to catch in Premier League this season, where as Arsenal are really struggling to make it back to Champions League position. Arsenal stand 6th in PL table, 8points adrift from the last Champions League qualification position. They are 27 points below Manchester City, after 27 matches in Premier League, that is remarkable.
EFL Cup Final, Arsenal vs Manchester City statistics
- This is the 194th official match between the sides.
- Historical H2H between Arsenal and Manchester City in all competitions; Arsenal 97W, MCFC 51W with 45 draws.
- H2H In EFL Cup; Arsenal 5W, MCFC 2W.
- Arsenal won the first 5 meetings between the teams in EFL Cup, but Manchester City has come out on top in the last 2 meetings in 2009 and 2011. Last time Arsenal won Manchester City in EFL Cup, was in 2004.
- Arsenal have the edge when it comes to playing vs MCFC on Wembley, as they won their last match played there, the FA Cup Semifinal of 2016-2017. And also the community Shield in 2014.
- Manchester City was chasing a quadruple of titles up and until Monday night. Quadruple as in; Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League titles. That chase ended as Wigan eliminated them from the FA Cup. To put that in perspective, that was just the 2nd defeat of 2017-2018 for MCFC in all competitions.
- Manchester City is among the favourites to win the Champions League this season, they are most definitely through to the quarterfinal stage of Champions league after 0-4 1st leg victory over Basel.
- Arsenal, was on a verge of humiliation on Thursday night, as the lowly Swedish side Östersunds beat them at Emirates in Europa League 2nd leg match 1-2. Östersunds took a shocking 0-2 lead on the 28th minute and looked to cause some real embarrassment on Arsenal. But Arsenal managed to salvage the situation and advanced to the round of 16.
- The EFL Cup is the only English title missing from Arsene Wenger in England. They have been in EFL Cup Final twice, losing both times.
- Pep Guardiola is looking to win his first ever title in English football in the “Carabao Cup final”.
- This is the 12th meeting between the managers Arsene Wenger and Josep Guardiola. Of the previous 11 Wenger has won 3 times, Guardiola 6 times with 2 matches ending in a draw.
- This is the 1st ever major final between Arsenal and Manchester City.
- The EFL Cup Final between Arsenal and Manchester City, is a historic one, because it will be the 1st ever major Final in English football which utilizes VAR technology. Now, it will be interesting to see how that pans out. VAR has been a disaster at times, all the way back to last summer in Russia when they tried it out in the pre-world cup tournament.
- One interesting but not really a statistical fact is, that this exactly same match, Arsenal vs Manchester City will be replayed in in 4 days time, as the teams clash once more in Premier League on Thursday 1st of March.
EFL Cup Final Arsenal vs Manchester City odds
- Unibet: Arsenal 5.50, draw 4.60, Manchester City 1.60
- William Hill: Arsenal 5.00, draw 4.33, Manchester City 1.61
At the time of writing, Unibet offers the better odds for Arsenal victory and a draw, where as William Hill holds a marginally better odds for MCFC victory. From William Hill you can get £30 worth of free bets on sign up if you use promo code C30. Oh yeah!; You can watch stream of the match through Unibet TV(some country restrictions may apply).
The EFL Cup Final is not the only big match of the weekend, it might be the biggest though. There are few other interesting matches throughout Europe, but also in England. Manchester United vs Chelsea is another huge attraction, also played on Sunday. In La Liga there is Sevilla vs Atletico Madrid played as a late kick-off on Sunday. In Serie A there is AS Roma vs AC Milan which is played simultaneously with Sevilla vs Atletico on Sunday. In Ligue1 there is PSG vs Marseille, a very good match no matter what your opinion on the French League is. Those 3 and every other Serie A, Ligue1 and La Liga matches can also be streamed through Unibet TV.