UEFA Champions League semifinal 1st leg, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, on Tuesday 2nd of May, from Santiago Bernabeu.
UEFA Champions League semifinal 1st leg match, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, in other words: “El derbi Madrileño”. This match-up is slowly becoming one of the classic UEFA Champions League battle’s. Got to admit that i was expecting this match-up to be the Final, 3rd time within 4 years. But maybe it’s actually a positive thing that it was not to be. Not the very least for Atletico, who should feel like they can finally pull it off in the eventual final if they are to beat Real Madrid on the Champions League semifinal stage.
I wrote an extensive match preview for the Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid La Liga match in early April. Much of those same statistics and points are valid for this match as well. The only thing that is different, is that this match-up on UEFA Champions League semifinal stage, is completely on another scale. On the Liga Madrid Derby, there was a mere 3 points on the line. This time around there is a ticket to single biggest football match of the season.
“Not too many years ago, El derbi Madrileño was basically a free three points for Real Madrid. Year after year the same pattern repeated itself. From year 2000 to year 2013, Atletico Madrid did NOT win a single Madrid Derby (vs Real Madrid). Not a single match, in any competition. In La liga they managed to get a draw 5 times between 2002 and 2013. Watching Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid during that span of time, was anything but entertaining. There was no competition.
Then something changed in the fall of 2013. Diego Simeone finally got his team to play like he wanted; The matches got more intense, and eventually it was Atletico Madrid who was in charge. From season 2013-2014 to THIS season, Real Madrid was NOT able to win a liga derby between the capital clubs until the first match of this season; The last El derbi Madrileño played at Vicente Calderon, in which Cristiano Ronaldo made sure Atleti fans will never forget, with a hatrick and 0-3 victory for Los Blancos.”
Real Madrid are looking to win their first La Liga title since Jose Mourinho’s second year in charge. They just have to win the remaining 4 matches, they can even drop 2 points in those 4 matches(1 draw would see them winning the title). Now that doesn’t sound like much, but it gets tricky when you factor in these 2 UEFA Champions League semifinal matches in to the equation. Atletico Madrid are known for their style of play, physically strong counter play. Demanding, almost draining style for both them and their opponent.
These 2 UEFA Champions League semifinal matches will surely play some part in the La Liga title race as well. The eventual effects remains to be seen; if Atletico eliminate Real Madrid, RMA will be demoralized for the remaining 3 Liga matches. If Real Madrid triumph they are chasing their first ever UCL/Liga double. The physical nature of el Derbi Madrileño is another factor that might tip the scales negatively for Los Blancos.
UEFA Champions League semifinal 1st leg, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid team news and the best bits of pre-match press conference:
Update 11.30, 2nd of May: Real Madrid will be without Pepe and Gareth Bale, Rapahel Varane is fit to start after recovering from his injury. Atletio Madrid will be without Jose-Maria Gimenez, Sime Vrsaljko and Juanfran who are all out injured. Yannick-Ferreria Carrasco is likely fit to start despite hurting his collarbone on Saturday’s match against Las Palmas.
Pre-Match press conference, Zinedine Zidane said:
“It means nothing that we have beaten them in this competition. Im not thinking about Cardiff either. We have to win tomorrow’s match. We have prepared well and we are ready. Everyone is pumped up and we are ready for the run-in. I wish the match would start right now.”
Pre-match press conference, Diego Simeone said:
“I do not tire of praising these players. That speaks to the word “TEAM” which makes this club great.”
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, Champions League semifinal 1st leg statistics and odds comparison
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid statistics:
- Historical H2H statistics; This is the 215th meeting between the sides; Of which Real Madrid has won 109, Atletico Madrid 54 and 52 of the matches has ended up as a draw.
- Last Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid was played on 8th of April, the match ended as a 1-1 draw after Real Madrid dominated much of the match but were unable to kill the game.
- Real Madrid was undefeated against Atletico Madrid in all competitions for 13 years, between 2000-2013.
- Atletico Madrid was undefeated vs Real Madrid in La Liga for 3 years, between 2013-2016 (in Champions League they lost 2 finals in 2014 & 2016 and a quarterfinal tie in 2015).
- UEFA competitions H2H, 7 meetings (including extra time and PK shootouts): Real Madrid 4W, Atletico Madrid 1W and 2 matches has ended as a draw.
- This is the 5th “El derbi Madrileño” Champions League/European Cup tie, Real Madrid has won all previous 4. Previous 3 out of the 4 have come on the run from 2014 (final), 2015 (quarterfinal and 2016 (final).
- Real Madrid was the other undefeated team left in the tournament at quarterfinal stage. Now only Juventus stand undefeated.
- Real Madrid are through to their 7th successive UEFA Champions League semifinal, a competition record. It is also their 12th overall Semifinal appearance in UEFA Champions League era, a competition record as well.
- This is the 6th European Cup/Champions League semifinal for Atletico Madrid, third the last 4 years.
- Real Madrid are unbeaten in the last 5 HOME matches in Champions League semifinal’s (4W, 1D).
- Out of the previous 6 Champions League semifinal’s, Real Madrid has only advanced to the final TWICE (winning the title both times, vs Atletico Madrid in the final).
- Real Madrid has scored in 58 successive match (Spanish record), ever since the 2016 UCL semifinal match vs Manchester City.
- Real Madrid has only kept ONE clean sheet in their last 16 matches in all competitions.
- Atletico Madrid are on a 15 matches long unbeaten streak AWAY FROM HOME.
- Atletico Madrid has kept 9 clean sheets in their last 13 matches across all competitions.
- Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid kick-off, 19.45 Tuesday 2nd of April, from Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid.
- The return leg Atletico Madrid vs Real Madrid will be played on Wednesday 10th of April.
UEFA Champions League semifinal, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid odds comparison:
- Bet365 odds: Real Madrid 3/4, draw 11/4, Atletico Madrid 7/2
- Betfair odds: Real Madrid 4/5, draw 13/5, Atletico Madrid 15/4
- Ladbrokes odds: Real Madrid 4/5, draw 27/10, Atletico Madrid 18/5
- Unibet odds: Real Madrid 41/50, draw 13/5, Atletico Madrid 100/30
- William Hill odds: Real Madrid 4/5, draw 5/2, Atletico Madrid 7/2
Real Madrid vs Atletico, best odds at the time of writing: Best odds for Real Madrid victory are offered by Unibet. Best odds for a draw are offered by Ladbrokes. Best odds for Atletico Madrid victory are offered by Betfair. These odds are bound to live a little, as the match is still 3 days away. I will try to keep the odds comparison up to date. I will also add some special promotions; if there are any/if i find them. Other than the special promotions, check out the best betting site signup bonuses post for ranked list of top 5 bonuses.
Update, 23.00 1st of May. Ladbrokes has a special promotion for the UCL semifinal; Enhanced odds for Ronaldo OR Griezmann to score, odds enhanced from 1/3 to 12/1, failed bets will be refunded as free bets (offer valid for new customers only, terms and conditions apply!)
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid, the 1st leg UEFA Champions League semifinal will be fireworks. El derbi Madrileño always has delivered entertaining football of great quality, even when the actual competition aspect was “dead and buried” for 15 years. Let alone now, when the matches have been rather even odds for last 5-6 years. Both teams are coming out fighting, both teams has the opportunity to lift the UEFA Champions League title; Real Madrid for the second year on the run, Atletico for the first time ever! The other UEFA Champions League semifinal will be played on Wednesday 3rd of May, AS Monaco vs Juventus, starting at 19.45.